7. December 2016
Featured location: the gloomily strange Plumlov Castle
In the town of Plumlov an unmistakable landmark perches on a rocky hill looming over the Hloučela stream: Plumlov Castle, one of our country’s strangest buildings. The proportions of the gloomy structure, built in the Mannerism style, bring to mind something like a huge old-fashioned high-rise. It was built in the 17th century by Hans-Adam, Prince of Liechtenstein, when he was only 20 years old. The illogical dimensions of the castle were chosen at the time it was built with the anticipation of the construction of a grand four-wing structure, which his father, Prince Karl Eusebius, had originally planned to build on this site. In the end, however, only one of the wings was built.
Photo: Plumlov Castle Administration
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Twenty-year-old Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein took charge of the construction of Plumlov Castle. According to the original concept from his father, Prince Karl Eusebius, who was strongly influenced by the Italian renaissance, it was to have been the most magnificent structure in Moravia, with a square four-wing floor plan and two rows of rooms in all of the wings. Hans-Adam, however, had only one row of rooms built instead of two, facing the south and connected by a long hallway situated on the northern side. He also rejected his father’s design to decorate the internal façade facing the fish pond with columns as well. After the death of the old Prince the interest in continuing the construction died off. It was not until 1692 that four of the rooms were furnished, so that the Liechtensteins would have a place to stay during their occasional visits to Plumlov. The most valuable part of the castle interior is the stuccoed hall from 1686. The painted decoration of the ceilings on the first and second floors, featuring scenes from antiquity, is the work of Jiří Greiner, who used Virgil’s Aeneid as inspiration. According to the castellan, lovers of art history primarily seek the baroque stucco and frescoes on the fifth floor, because they have not been restored. The two basement floors have also been opened to the public. Nowadays the castellan holds interesting cultural events here. Plumlov Castle has been owned by the town of Plumlov since 1994. Contact the Czech Film Commission or one of the many local location managers for more information about this and other locations.
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Photo: Plumlov Castle Administration
Plumlov Castle | Photo: Jeseniky Film Office
Photo: Plumlov Castle Administration